Friday, June 27, 2008

ZZZZzzzzzzzz...

The only thing better than getting sleep yourself is knowing your child is getting the sleep they need. Elliot has been on a crusade against sleep since the 3rd day after he was born. I haven't slept through the night since the second trimester of my pregnancy. It is amazing that a person can function on so little.
Most moms told me to put Elliot in the car, drive around and he'll go to sleep. We tried this--he sleeps about 15 minutes and then he's up again...seemingly rested! He just gets more overtired with these cat naps (kitten naps really).
Other moms said to put him in the swing. So in the swing he went...and went...and went...
Eyes wide open, giggles, then fussing. No sleep. To this day he has fallen asleep ONCE in the swing.
No, he does not sleep in the stroller either, if that's what you were thinking next. :)
He will fall asleep in the front carrier I wear (which I love and can be sized to fit both James and I) called a Pikkolo. Oh but just try to take it off without him waking!
Long story short, Elliot falls asleep on warm bodies--especially on the boob (which only Mama can provide).
I believe I have not just one, but possibly two spine issues. Both James and I have broken backs and shoulders. My feet feel like they've been crushed. But you see, we'd do ANYTHING to get Elliot to sleep. Most of the time that took HOURS. Yes, there is an "s" at the end of "hour."

We recently began letting Elliot learn a bit more on his own how to self sooth and fall asleep. He has taken to it so well I am in complete shock. The past two nights, after his nighttime routine of a PJ change, a light show, music, a book, and nursing, we put him down in his crib (AWAKE) and he went to sleep with not a peep! He literally was like, "hey, thanks for the story and the meal, see you in 7 hours!"

Today, the nap went the same way. He just KNOWS how to fall asleep, and he seems to be enjoying it. All around he is much happier. I know he'll be healthier as well.

Now if only I could peel myself away from the monitor and get some sleep too...

No comments:

Post a Comment