Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sleep continued...

So the sleeping thing is still working in that when we put Elliot down to sleep, he is calm and quiet and happy. Sometimes he just scoots and rolls around, making tiny noises, and then falling asleep (IT'S MIRACULOUS)!
Sometimes he just lays like a sack of potatoes, and just drifts off there. I just want to stay and watch him sleep because it is all new to me not to have him wriggling and fussing to be picked up.
What has been happening the past two nights is that he is waking every 2-3 hours to nurse. I have no problem with this other than my severe sleep deprivation making me very groggy, and I wonder why he is waking so often. No teeth, no fever, no dirty diaper, no growth spurt.
The good news remains though--even if he wakes to nurse, after he eats and gets a five minute walk on Mommy's shoulder--he peacefully goes back in his crib to sleep. **note about the crib: Our plan when he was born was for Elliot to co-sleep. All of us got ZERO sleep this way and James was afraid for rolling over on Elliot. We transitioned him to a cradle right next to my side of the bed (as if connected). He was here for over 3 months and that worked well until he became so aware of mom that each time I moved, he'd wake. He was getting no sleep. I was afraid of his development due to lack of sleep. With my mom's help, we transitioned him to a crib and me sleeping on the floor next to it. Now I am in the room next to his. He gets more sleep in his own space than any other option we tried. He is not awakened by mom, dad, or dogs. He loves his room and crib. He will play quietly in it and seems so independent as he does.

Anyhow, I am hoping for more consecutive hours of sleep again soon. But I'll continue to wake as often as that little angel needs me--even if that means walking smack-dab into a closed door on my way to get him! I have the bump on my eye to prove that I am not all there at Elliot's night time wakings (at least the first 15 seconds).
I can't say enough how much I am enjoying this little life. He is so aware and has such a distinct personality that I can't imagine how wonderful it will be as he continues to become who he will be. Already I know he is happy, strong willed, playful, curious, smart, strong, and FUNNY! He makes us laugh and seems to understand that he has the ability to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment