Saturday, April 27, 2013

             Elliot's latest trip to Louisiana to see P.K. and David.  LOVED the wildlife preserve! 
                                                      Science museum never disappoints!


                                                                         First parade!
                                                                     Elliot and Nimue
                                                 One of Elliot's MANY amazing creations


 **
this post has been written over time so much of this happened just as he turned 5, and some months later**

Elliot is 5.  WHAT?!  Yes, he is 5 with all the joy, and innocence 5 brings--but underneath is the wisdom of someone who has lived a very long time.  I am astounded.

Elliot just told me, "I can draw a skeleton, I looked at my socks so I know how to."
(he has a cute little skull on his socks)
Now he just asked, "how do I draw a ribcage?"

He is definitely my kid...I am an anatomy geek.

This child remembers EVERYTHING!  He has been asking me whether things he is remembering are dreams or real.  Most of the time, they are real, and they happened when he was a BABY!

If I had to put labels on him right now, some of them would be:

nurturer
comedian
engineer
problem solver
self starter
lover
people person
individual
story teller

I hurt my knee recently and Elliot unearthed my crutches from highschool out of our storage closet and handed them to me.  Then he got an ice pack from the freezer, held it at my knee while alternately kissing my injury and telling me, "let me know when this ice isn't cold anymore and I'll get you a fresh one."

My second injury was the complete melting of my heart.

He is so young, and children are supposed to be ego-centric.  And he is, to an extent--but he is so AWARE of others and the needs and differences of others it's incredible.

He makes cards for people.  He doesn't draw what he likes on the cards, he draws (after much thought) what the other person likes--including favorite colors.

Today he cut a princess out of pink paper for his "girlfriend,"  Emalina.

When inviting children to his birthday, he let me know that if I invited Jackson to his birthday, I needed to invite Josh, because those two boys played together a lot.

Yeah, that sounds like most five year old boys... ;)

Some things I don't want to forget:

Me:  Ms. Hannah is having her baby right now.
E:  Did it already pop out?
Me:  No, sometimes it can take a long time.
E:  Yeah, because the baby just wants to stay inside and play with your ribcage a little longer.
 -----

I bought Elliot a circuit board (8ys+) that you can build circuits for making alarms, lights, sounds, etc.

At night as I was putting him down to bed he said:

"Mom, you know about love and electricity?"  There is a circuit from my heart to your heart of love."
 -----

Me:  Elliot, who are your girlfriends at school?
E:  Melody and Addison.
Me: What is it about them that you like?
E:  I like the LOOK.
Me: (laughing) what?
E: (reaching out and pushing up on the bottom of my bobbed hair cut)  I like them because they look like you.
 ------

E:  I drew a picture today of a man who thinks he's kissing a lady, but really he's kissing a MONKEY!!!"
-----

E: (tooting)  HEY!  Somebody's gonna have to call the insurance!!!
 -----

E:  Mom, you know how you throw the ball for the dogs so that they get all of their energy out and behave better?  Well, I'm pretty sure that's what the teachers are doing to the students when they have us go to recess before lunchtime.
-----

E: (handing me a picture he drew)  I hope you like it, that is you and you are standing next to a heart factory...<3 p="">
-----

I picked him up from school one day and his music teacher said,

"I think he's going to be a late night talk show host."

Then a month later I picked him up again, and the same teacher said.

"I think he's going to be president."

-----

Well, Elliot will be whatever he wants to be, that is for sure.  Between that brain and that heart, there is magic.   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment